Sunday, July 19, 2015

IMSC Ep 13 - Song 1: "Rotary Dial" by Patresa Hartman (feat The High Crest)

"Hartman brings the mature and soulful voice of a woman who has something to say. As she puts it, making music is really about making an important human connection. 'I use songwriting as a way to understand my own human experiences and then communicate them in the most honest way I know how.'

"The result is a dynamic set of original songs in what Hartman calls 'soul-folk' style. Taking turns behind the guitar and the piano, Hartman’s compositions meld musical flavors of Janis Joplin, Miranda Lambert, Ingrid Michaelson, and Ani Difranco. Confessional lyrics and heart-opening melodies weave together with relatable storytelling to make every performance an intimate one and every audience a gathering of friends."
- from her ReverbNation page

"I’m the third of three daughters to musical parents. I grew up with church choir, barbershop quartets, show tunes, the symphony, military marches, Fifth Dimension, Crosby Stills & Nash, Bette Midler, Barry Manilow, my father’s whistling, and The Gaithers. I made music everywhere, all the time. Then, at some random time and for some unidentified reason, my confidence tanked, and I stopped.

"Through the entirety of my 20’s and the start of my 30’s, I did anything but music. I finished college and went to graduate school. I cycled through four careers in fifteen years. At one point along the way, I missed music enough to buy a piano for $200 from a thrift store, and I learned chords on a beat-up classical guitar my then-boyfriend salvaged from the dumpster of the music store where he worked. Several songs fell out, and I recorded them using an analog four-track and a borrowed microphone. But I didn't play them for anyone.

"Over the next several years, I continued to write music that I was too insecure to play for others. Eventually, I recognized what a waste that was. You don't have to be great; you just have to be honest.

"I play acoustic sets of mostly original music (some covers), including a monthly Women’s Songwriters in the Round series I cohost with Mary McAdams at the Ritual Cafe in Des Moines. One of my very favorite things in the world is introspection and honesty as vehicles for important human connection. I believe that when we’re honest about who we are--with ourselves and each other--we find good company and validation. I believe good company and validation have magical healing powers. In this spirit, I like to use songwriting as a way to understand my own murky humanity and then communicate that in the most honest way I know how. And that is my extremely exciting story.

"Thanks for reading. Thanks for listening. Thanks for connecting. Hope to see you at a show soon."
- from her home page

Lineup:
Acoustic Guitar & Lead Vocals: Patresa Hartman
Djembe & Harmony Vocals: Kat Darling
Harmonica: Aaron Earl Short




Home page:
http://www.patresahartman.com/

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/patresahartmanmusic

ReverbNation:
https://www.reverbnation.com/patresahartman

No comments:

Popular Posts of the last 7 days

Popular Posts of last 30 days

Popular Posts of Past 365 Days

Most Popular Posts of All